wow... I've almost forgotten what having the inability to put down a good book feels like.
Of late, I've mostly been reading non-fiction books, so they're usually just guide books.
Yesterday, I started on Nicholas Sparks' "At First Sight". I've read "A Bend in the Road", and "A Walk to Remember (hated the movie though)". Funny, I never read "The Notebook", maybe because I was so in love with the movie, I didn't want to ruin it for myself if the book was a lot better than the movie (which was usually the case).
Anyway, when I say "inability to put a book down", I mean reading until 4.30am when your eyelids feel heavy, your bloodshot eyes feel like they'll pop out of your eye sockets and you can't really remember what day it is anymore. I know, crazy, but it didn't feel that long. I knew it was late, just didn't bother checking the time.
I started getting a little bit tired, but I found it so hard to stop reading. I was hooked! I would've kept reading until I finished the book if not for God's wisdom reminding me I'll need to sleep anyway, so I did.
Then, tears were shed as I finished the book this afternoon. Nicholas Sparks writes with such eloquence. I learned in Creative Writing class last year, that there were many ways of writing, many choices of narratives. Nicholas Sparks follows his characters so closely it makes you feel like you're in the scene and setting right there with them.
He uses very real events, with very real people... things that normally happen. Say, a couple's fight. Couples often fight, everbody knows that. But there's a big difference when a writer writes out an argument for the sake of climax and when a writer writes out an argument to support character. The arguments in "At First Sight" didn't look phony... they felt really real. Moreover, Nicholas Sparks reveals the emotions of his main character with such rawness it really grips you.
Ahh... got to put this one into my "definitely worth a second read" list. =)
More books to come! S2
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment